At Travis St Lawrence CE Primary School, we believe that all children are entitled to an education which allows every child to achieve their potential regardless of their starting point in life or personal circumstances. The government believes this additional funding is the best way to tackle those inequalities to enable children to have the best outcomes.
Which pupils are entitled to Pupil Premium?
Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) is provided to all schools to support pupils within the following categories:
- Pupils who are currently registered for Free School Meals.
- Pupils who have been registered for Free School Meals at any point during the last six years;
- Pupils in the care of a Local Authority;
- Pupils who have been adopted but have been looked after for one day or more, or were adopted from care on or after 30th December 2005 and left care under:
- A Special Guardianship Order on or after 30th December 2005
- A Residence Order on or after 14th October 1991
- Pupils whose parents are serving with the UK Armed Force
How do we encourage parents to register their child’s eligibility?
We send a letter home to all parents/carers each year, explaining which children are eligible and how to register. Registering is quick and easy – just go to the Doncaster Council website and search for free school meals. If you need any help, please speak to a member of staff. No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming. You can follow this link to the DMBC page:
What is Pupil Premium spent on?
The decision about how the individual schools use their Pupil Premium is left to each school with the expectation that they will close the gap in attainment and progress between those eligible and other children nationally. “It is for schools to decide how the Pupil Premium is spent since they are best placed to assess what additional provision should be made for the individual pupils within their responsibility.” (DfE). Therefore, schools are free to spend the PPG as they see fit. However, they will be held accountable for how they have used the additional funding to support these pupils. Measures are included in the performance tables which capture the achievement of those disadvantaged pupils covered by the grant.
How is funding used at Travis St Lawrence CE Primary School?
At Travis, we use funding in a range of ways to support all pupils, including those who qualify for Pupil Premium. Each year we put together a comprehensive plan of interventions that we feel will best allow our pupils to meet their full potential. All disadvantaged pupils are included in our intervention planning and appropriate strategies are selected that will be used in order to tackle any barriers to their learning. At the end of the academic year we then analyse the impact of the interventions and strategies used to ensure they provide best value and that progress has been made.
At Travis St Lawrence CE Primary School, we use an action plan in order to continue to improve provision and raise achievement for all children in receipt of pupil premium funding. Our priorities mean that the funding for 2019-20 will focus on:
- Ensuring the quality of phonics teaching is consistently good or better.
- Ensuring the teaching of reading is consistently good or better.
- Developing the skills of our support staff.
- Ensuring our curriculum is equitable.
- Ensuring our interventions have impact.
- Reducing the number of persistent absentees.
- Reducing the number of fixed term exclusions.
Please see the document below for the full plan.
Below is the reviewed plan for 2020 - 2021.